Saturday, January 1, 2011

Backyard Makeover Contest 2010

Quote: Marvin Barnes, from the 70's

-
-

It is in 1974, Marvin Barnes, the young leader of the franchise of the ABA Spirits of St. Louis, speaks with a journalist who waited in the locker room after the game:

--- " Bro, you know what's wrong with this team? There was no team play. We do not care one other ... Let me give you an example. Tonight, I 48 points two minutes from the end of the match. Is someone passed me the ball so I can get to 50? Huh? No, they kept the ball for them and I'm stuck at 48. "

That raises the character, eh? To Scoop Jackson, the author of the article where I pulled that quote , these few words give the best definition we can to character what was Marvin Barnes. Bringing the holy trinity of basketball's most-talented encouraging results, immaturity and ego-oversized, one we nicknamed "Bad News Barnes" and Scoop Jackson called "The Original ego of the Negro" would could be among the top 50 players the story so have to believe his statements and those of those who knew him. It has however been dominating for two years (his first two seasons at the professional level).

I let you raise some sails on Barnes with Scoop Jackson's article (published in the magazine Slam) and another nicely complements the first, published on Fanhouse.com .

StillBallin

0 comments:

Post a Comment